As a means of honouring the process rather than the product, with the focus being on practice, trial and error, I gentle offer myself the space of completing 100 abstract paintings starting 1st Jan 2019.
I purposefully kept the challenge loose and open. There are no rules except completing a piece each day on a sheet of A3 paper using acrylic paints. I don’t allow myself to overthink things either as when that happens, nothing gets done.
At this point, (10/02/1019), I’m 43 pieces in. I’m learning so much about myself and how I work. How my process changes as I search and develop my unique visual language. I’m still excited as I come to the paper each day.
I will share a selection of pieces here as I work my way through the remaining pieces. I’m thinking of offering some of them up for sale at the end of the 100 days. I know I will do some wallpaper drops for my supporters over on Patreon as an extra thank you.
Keep checking back as I keep updating this part of the portfolio.
Project updates : as of 23/03/19 – I completed these 100 abstracts ahead of schedule. I’m so proud of myself as this is the first time I have completed a challenge like this. Many years I have tired but failed to continue beyond the first few weeks.
This time, I believe I was successful because I set the timeframes, I was organised and I allowed flexibility. I came to the page each day not knowing what I was going to create but I embraced this uncertainty and allowed it to fuel my practice. This experience was all about the process rather than the product and I learned so much about my practice and tools and colour than I could ever think possible.
I have now started ( 02/04/19) the official #the100dayproject and working on a series of #100daysofblackwomen. I’ll share this project soon. But in the meantime let me take some time to celebrate this achievement.